Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Art Journal Backgrounds and Caran d'Ache Love



I've been working in my art journal and practicing backgrounds.  I really love trying to create depth and layers in my backgrounds.  This page has a little bit of everything.  I started out with three colors, spread around with a credit card.  Next I added some text torn from an old book and some rubber stamps.  Then I added a thin coat of gesso here and there, followed by more rubber stamps, bubble wrap, and some tissue paper.  This was the first time I had worked with tissue paper, but it won't be the last.  I loved how easy it was to apply with some gel medium and it's so transparent that everything underneath showed through and it made a really nice effect.

  I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out overall.



 Isn't it funny how some of our 'experiments' turn out to be better than our 'planned' techniques?  I did this page at random because I wanted to practice a technique I had read about online. This was done with Caran d'Ache watercolor crayons and a baby wipe.  I did this one in my moleskine sketchbook and the combination of the paper, crayons and baby wipes made a really creamy, blended effect and I love the way it turned out.


I love working with these water-soluble crayons.  They are so versatile and the colors are bright and beautiful.  I use them a lot when I don't have time to dig out all of my paints and brushes, or when I'm away from home but want to paint.  They can be blended with a baby wipe, your finger or a water brush, so if you're traveling these items are small and easy to bring along.  The Caran d'Ache brochure has some neat techniques for using these crayons.  Here's a link to the downloadable PDF if you'd like to have a look.

Do any of you use these crayons, or have a special technique to share?  If so feel free to leave your link below so we can all check it out.

Until next time, happy creating!





 




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to thank you for following my blog! Your support is greatly appreciated :) I answer all my comments--so don't be afraid to say Hi! You have a cute blog :) Thanks for sharing! <3

Donna B. said...

Hi Sonya, Thank you for following my blog. I am SO GLAD you did because I was so jazzed to see your journal covers!! I LOVE IT!! I have been reorganizing my office/creative space and organizing my rubber stamps etc. I have been contemplating doing a journal. I went to a demo by some gals I met blogging, on journaling art (see them under blogs I follow for artists, designers). I would love to discuss your technique further. My email is donnab6464@gmail.com. I will be back...

Lysanne said...

Wow, this looks great.

Anonymous said...

Hello!! Thankyou for your Zentangle information. I have started an on-line drawing group, and I thought that it would be good to connect with you to swap ideas.Ours is a very new group, but the ladies are extremely keen.
Hoping to hear from you.Cheers
Judy

Little Button Girl said...

the background of the top page is great - i have never seen a background like that but it looks fab!! and thanks for sharing how you did it! :)

MoMeMa said...

Hi Sonia,
Your artwork is beautiful and love your layering techniques too. Thanks for visiting my blog and hope to see you again soon. I already grab you button and added to my INSPIRING NETWORKS pages http://momemart.blogspot.com/p/inspiring-networks.html. you may want to Link-Up with us your fabulous blog @ LOVE THAT BLOG or just follow me! Keep on Inspiring Others!!! Stay well.
MoMeMa
www.momemart.blogspot.com
Inspire Others

Gez Butterworth said...

Hi I've landed here via Goggle! I was looking how to use baby wipes for blending backgrounds & your gorgeous blog was top of the search list! Your artwork is fabulous. Hope you don't mind me following your blog. Happy crafting. Gez.xx

Gez Butterworth said...

btw I LOVE PINK!

Lori Comeau said...

Beautiful job on your journal . Love the pink. Looks like tons of fun to create. Something I plan on trying this year for sure.
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails